Tuesday, December 1, 2015

White as Snow

“Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the Lord, “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow.” - Isaiah 1:18a

I love the snow, at least when I’m not having to drive in it. I love watching the tiny flakes through the window as they gracefully make their way to the ground. I love bundling up and walking the sidewalks, leaving my bootprints in the fresh powder. I enjoy building snowmen and throwing snowballs, even if for only a few minutes before coming inside and warming up with a hot beverage.

But most of all, I love looking out first thing in the morning at a fresh snowfall—a sparkling blanket covering everything the eye can see, unblemished by feet or any other markings. The landscape is beautiful and whole, unified by the glistening white cover.

As I look out upon this unbroken mantle of white, I’m reminded of how God sees me.

Before I trusted Christ, I was stained by sin. Isaiah 64:6 describes those who don’t trust God as “unclean things,” with the good things that we do amounting to no more than “filthy rags.” In Isaiah 1:18, our sins are compared to stains of scarlet and crimson. I was filthy, blemished, stained by sin.

But just like new fallen snow transforms the landscape into a glistening scene of pure, clean white, trusting in Jesus’s death on the cross transforms us into clean, perfect, sinless individuals in God’s eyes.

However, Jesus did so much more than snow can ever do. Snow only makes things look white by covering them up. Jesus doesn’t just cover our sins when we trust Him; instead, He completely removes our sin, “cleansing us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:7). In Psalm 103:12, we’re told, “As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.”

When God looks at me, He doesn’t just see a mask over my sin; He sees me as holy and sinless, clean and without blemish. When He looks at any who have trusted Him, He sees people glistening with purity in His radiant glory. Next time you wake up to see an untouched covering of white sparkling brightly in the morning light, may you be reminded of how Jesus removed your sin, making you as beautiful and spotless as those blankets of snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! If you have a question about Awana, feel free to email me at twofifteenbits@gmail.com.