Monday, December 21, 2015

The Song of Mary

As part of my devotions this month, I’ve been reading through Luke’s version of the Christmas story. In Luke 1:46-55, after an angel tells Mary that she has been chosen to be Jesus’s mother, Mary sings a song of exultation about the things God has already done for His people. As I reflected on the passage, I realized that not only is it a reflection of her past and the past of her people, but also a prophecy of what will come because of Jesus’s birth.

“And Mary said:
‘My soul magnifies the Lord,
And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant;
For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed.
For He who is mighty has done great things for me,
And holy is His name.
And His mercy is on those who fear Him
From generation to generation.
He has shown strength with His arm;
He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts.
He has put down the mighty from their thrones,
And exalted the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
And the rich He has sent away empty.
He has helped His servant Israel,
In remembrance of His mercy,
As He spoke to our fathers,
To Abraham and to his seed forever.’”

This Christmas, let us too reflect on the things God has done for us, especially that He sent Jesus Christ to save us from our sins and bring us eternal life. Let us also remember that God is faithful, unchanging, and a keeper of His promises. As He took care of those who trusted Him in the past, so too will He take care of us in the future.

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! If you have a question about Awana, feel free to email me at twofifteenbits@gmail.com.