Monday, August 17, 2015

Past, Present, and School Year

I AM

I was regretting the past
and fearing the future.
Suddenly my Lord was speaking:
"My name is I AM"

He paused.
I waited. He continued,
"When you live in the past
with its mistakes and regrets,
it is hard. I am not there.
My name is not I WAS.

When you live in the future,
with its problems and fears,
it is hard. I am not there.
My name is not I WILL BE.

When you live in this moment
it is not hard. I am here,
My name is I AM."
                    - Helen Mallicoat

I first heard this poem, inspired by Exodus 3:14, when I was a high school student. At the time, I was trying to juggle studies, family, tennis, Awana, and community band, while maintaining a social life. The poem recently resurfaced as I contemplated the lack of things I accomplished over the past few days, as well as all the things I still needed to do for home, work, and the new Awana year.

I imagine there are many new and returning students from kindergarten to college feeling overwhelmed by the daunting task of balancing academia with family and extracurricular activities, now that school is starting. I’m also sure that parents, teachers, coaches, and many others are nervous about their preparations as everyone gets ready for a fresh start in a new school year.

With so much going on, it can be easy to feel overburdened and underprepared. But as the poem states, and as God says in Matthew 6:34, we don’t need to worry about the future until it arrives. And even then, God tells us in Philippians 4:6-7 that we shouldn’t be anxious at all, but instead “let your requests be made known to God.” He then promises that when we let Him take care of our anxieties, “the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”

May God grant you all peace as the busy season begins, and may all your kids have a fun and amazing school year!

For more information about Awana, visit the Awana Homepage.
To find a club in your area visit the Club Locator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! If you have a question about Awana, feel free to email me at twofifteenbits@gmail.com.