Monday, November 23, 2015

Thank you for the rain

“I thank You for the sunshine
Lord, I thank You for the rain,
Lord, I thank You for Your healing touch
When my life was filled with pain,
And I thank You for my family
And the trials You brought me through
And I thank you for my sorrows,
That’s how I learn to lean on You.”

- Chorus for “What Grandma Said” by The Needhams

Each year as Thanksgiving approaches, the above lyrics come to my mind. I love the way that The Needhams include both the good and that bad in this song’s lines, showing that each has its purpose and place. 1 Thessalonians 5:18 tells us, “in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”

It’s effortless to give thanks for things that we easily see as good, like the sunshine and God’s healing touch. But the truth is that sometimes the rain falls, and many times the ugly nature of our broken, sinful world fills our lives with sorrow. And yet, even these are things we can be thankful for. Rain brings water for puddles to splash in and life to grow. Sorrow, as the song states, helps us to learn to lean on the Lord, making us stronger and preparing us for great joy. In Romans 8:28, we’re told, “all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.”

This Thanksgiving, may God remind you of all the blessings He’s provided, and may He grant you many, many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! If you have a question about Awana, feel free to email me at twofifteenbits@gmail.com.