Monday, September 28, 2015

Always there, always providing, always helping

If you’ve been in kidmin for any decent length of time, you’ve probably been asked about your favorite verse. If not, then you will be eventually.

In my case, I have more than one favorite. My first favorite is actually a combination of two verses — Hebrews 13:5-6.

“Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you.’ So we may boldly say: ‘The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?’”

What initially attracted me to these verses is the promise God makes. Imagine: God is the King of Kings and Lord of Lords, the Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent, Alpha, Omega, Creator, and Master of the Universe. And yet, He has promised to walk beside me, no matter how insignificant or sinful I am. How cool is that?

But as we look at the clauses and verses before and after the promise, the promise itself gains more meaning. Consider the first clause; "Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have." This is a command telling us to live a life without wanting something that belongs to someone else. Our actions should be without jealousy, but instead with contentment. Why? Because God will provide. The God who promises to never leave us or neglect us also promises to take care of us. In Philippians 4:19, we're promised, "my God shall supply all your need."

In Hebrews 13:6, we're shown another benefit of God's promise: "So we may boldly say: 'The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?" Since God promises to be with us all the time, we have no reason to be afraid. God is bigger than any adversary or obstacle, and He proves this time and again throughout the Scriptures, delivering those who trust in Him.

This passage gives me the courage and confidence to keep moving forward, because I know that God promises to always be with me, provide for me, and help me, no matter where I am in life.

For my other favorite verse, check back next week! Do you have a favorite verse (I told you you'd be asked eventually)? Share in the comments!

For more information about Awana, visit the Awana Homepage.
To find a club in your area visit the Club Locator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! If you have a question about Awana, feel free to email me at twofifteenbits@gmail.com.