Monday, January 20, 2014

A commander? "No, I'm the game director"


Joel and Virginia Cook live to serve. They served as youth group directors, Vacation Bible School volunteers, and Sunday school teachers. They've been Cubbie leaders, Truth and Training leaders, Trek leaders, Sparks directors, secretaries, game directors, and commanders. And since 2007, they've served as Northern California/Northern Nevada missionaries, visiting clubs and training leaders. Their family motto comes from Joshua 24:15, “As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

"Joel has such a servant's heart," Virginia said about what she admires most about her husband. "He's willing to drop everything, just wanting to help other people, to give his time."

But Joel admits he cannot do it alone and is thankful to have his wife by his side. "I love her organization of the details," he said. "We fill each other's gaps. Her weaknesses are my strengths and my weaknesses are her strengths."

Joel's Five Favorites

Awana Game: Shipwreck
Ice Cream: Rocky Road
Hobby: Golf
Movie: Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Verse: 1 Corinthians 15:3-4

Virginia's Five Favorites

Awana Game: Beanbag Bonanza
Ice Cream: Chocolate Mousse Royale from Baskin Robbins
Hobby: Crochet, knitting, reading
Author: God, Karen Kingsbury
Verse: Proverbs 3:5-6
Joel and Virginia have a strong history of working together in ministry. However, there was a time when ministry was never a consideration. In fact, neither trusted Christ until after they were married. "I always knew of God," Joel said. "Mom made sure I was on the bus to Sunday school every Sunday."

The couple met in high school in 1977. "She had just moved into Oroville, Calif.," Joel said. "I came to school after Easter break and she was there sitting with a mutual friend." Over the next two years, their relationship grew, and in 1979, they married.

In the same year, Joel began his 23-year career with the United States Air Force; a career that took them to 8 countries and 25 states. They finally heard God's call when Joel was stationed in San Antonio, Tex.

"We lived in a house with a fenced backyard," Joel said. "There was a gate in the fence. You rarely see a fence — let alone a gate — in a backyard when it's in military housing. Just 100 yards from that gate was the base chapel, and every Sunday at 8:30 a.m. the church bell rang. I often thought, 'turn that stupid bell off.' Looking back, I knew it was God calling me to church." So they went to the church on Christmas in 1984 and in January 1985 they trusted Christ as Savior.

Since then, the couple has pursued ministry everywhere they've been. Joel's favorite place to serve was in Incirlik, Turkey, where they were youth group directors. "That's where first century Christians were," he said. "We got to see Paul's house and the Seven Churches of Revelation. We studied the Seven Churches in class and then took a six-day tour of the very thing we studied!"

Their ministry with Awana began in 1993 in Clovis, N.M. when they were homeschooling their children Kristina and Matt. "We wanted something positive for the kid's social development," Joel said. He started as the game director, and she started as the Chums and Guards director for the third- through sixth-grade girls.

But God had planned for more than just teaching their kids; He had planned to teach Joel and Virginia as well. Two months later, their commander told Joel, "You need to be the commander."

"No, I'm the game director."

"You can do both!"

"Well, okay, I'll do both — if you'll be the executive secretary." He did both for two years before becoming solely the commander. But God wasn't done yet.

"Some random commander somehow managed to get my phone number and called to ask if I could help train his leaders," Joel said. "I told him, 'No, you need to call the missionary.' I even called our missionary for him. The missionary, who lived far away in Phoenix, told me, 'I can't do it. But you can.'"

"No, I can't. You're the missionary."

"Yes, you can. You've got the handbooks and the uniforms, just take them with you and show the people your passion."

Joel and Virginia trained three churches in New Mexico without the missionary before returning to Oroville in 2000. So when God called again, they were ready. "We already had our feet wet with being missionaries," Joel said. "Becoming a missionary was the next natural step."

Their work with children has produced many fond memories. Virginia absolutely loves watching the Awana clubbers grow, as well as the spiritual growth of her own family. "We're products of Awana," she said. "The growth and confidence I got working with our kids and how I grew in my own relationship with the Lord."

Joel's favorite memory is more specific. "In New Mexico, we had this fifth-grade boy. He was new to the church. He also got picked on at school. As a result, he was quiet and kept to himself. One night at club, I asked for testimonies, and he raised his hand. When I called on him, he stood and said, 'I get picked on all the time and I cry. But today, when the same guys came, I was able to walk away. And as I was walking away, I was reciting the memory verse for today. It gave me strength to get through today.'"

The boy's testimony showed Joel the proof that God's word is living, active, and powerful. His story is one of many, and those many stories are a central reason why Joel and Virginia continue in ministry today.

For more information about Awana Clubs International, visit the Awana Homepage.
To find a club in your area visit the Club Locator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment! If you have a question about Awana, feel free to email me at twofifteenbits@gmail.com.